Wenham Country Club History
One hundred years ago the popularity of golf was expanding on both sides of the Atlantic. Caught up in this new found passion for the game were a handful of teenagers from Wenham, Massachusetts. Having caddied at Myopia Golf Club in the neighboring town of Hamilton, they sought a place of their own to play and practice golf. Thus began in 1897 the construction of a series of golf holes on land known as
1899: Humble Beginnings
Officially opened in the summer of 1899, the Club was available to townsfolk only, and a small group paid annual dues of $1.00. Within a year a simple shelter was created for changing shoes and storing clubs.
1924: The Club Grows
On the 25th anniversary of its founding, the Club leased additonal land and expanded to an 18 hole layout. It now allowed out-of-towners to join and was solidly established with about 50 members. An annual budget for 1924 was projected at $4,300 and the Club belonged to both the U.S. and Mass. Golf Associations.
1949: Men, Women and Juniors
On the 50th anniversary of its founding, the Club boasted a membership of over 200 with representatives from all over the North Shore and surrounding areas. In addition, they enjoyed a modern clubhouse with full facilities and active mens and ladies divisions. In an effort to attract new blood, junior memberships were offered for the first time at a reduced rate.
1974: Members and Public Welcome
The Club celebrated its 75th anniversary with a flag raising ceremony attended by over 300 members, town officials, neighbors, and golfing dignitaries. One of the special events that year was a pro-member tournament including 40 leading New England golf professionals teamed with 120 Wenham members.
1999: Centennial Celebrations
Beginning in the early 1980’s, the Club began an aggressive campaign of improving the golf course as well as rebuilding its membership. Several greens and tees were rebuilt, the irrigation system was completely replaced, clubhouse improvements were made, two new maintenance buildings were erected and many new trees were planted to better define the golf holes. As we enter our second century of golf, the Club has never been healthier, nor more beautiful, while retaining its reputation as a short but challenging layout.
Having evolved into an 18 hole layout in 1924 with a solid membership base, the next logical step in the evolution of the Club was the hiring of a club professional. In 1926, Joseph Robertson, a native of Scotland, was hired as Wenham’s first golf professional, greenskeeper, and handyman. Joe served Wenham faithfully for over 40 years. In 1967, Cornelius “Bud” Clancy succeeded Joe, followed by John Theo, Bob Roche, Doug Smith, Alan Campbell, John Thoren, Jr., Peter Collins, Darin Chin-Aleong, and Jason Greene.